When we first bought this house 8 (holy heck) years ago, our bedroom was downstairs. We decided that Logan would sleep in our room until he outgrew the cradle, so roughly four months he spent bunking with us. It gave us plenty of time to set up two bedrooms upstairs. The downside is the upstairs is pretty darn hot in the summer, and the AC just runs constantly. Matt's thought was, let's see how much we save by moving downstairs. The biggest issue with all of this is that technically there's only one bedroom downstairs. Logan's new bedroom is his former playroom. The downside of this: people have to trek thru his "bedroom" to use the bathroom. This has been my biggest complaint, but then I thought 1) there's room dividers and 2) we don't have that much company anyway!
I spent a week cleaning out the bedroom which has been a dumping grounds for years. Lots of trash, stuff to donate, and stuff to sell later I was finished. We spent all last weekend moving stuff downstairs and hauling stuff outside. Injuries were minor and cussing was minimal, but we got it done. We decided to NOT move our Sleepnumber bed downstairs just yet, just til we see how this is going (and I don't know if Matt and I could have moved it anyway). And since the downstairs bedroom has a far bigger closet than what we had upstairs, there was no need to haul down Matt's beast of a dresser down.
Logan's "stuff" was much easier to move: bed and dresser down, train table up. He thinks it's the best thing ever. He wants to deck it out in super heroes so I have been busy browsing Pinterest. He has a "real" closet now (closet under the stairs). The downside is that he now has a TV in his "bedroom". So far it hasn't been a problem, but I'm very anti TV in the bedroom and I seem to constantly lose this battle no matter what. It actually looks less cluttered. My parents come up yesterday and asked where all his "junk" was. The only toys that have been moved upstairs are trains and tracks!
We've been downstairs for a week now and it's working out pretty well. Mornings are a lot faster. I forgot how quiet the old room was (away from the noisy street). Bigger shower. Less trips up/downstairs. And we have not turned on the AC AT ALL (killing the allergies, but that's another story). The cat was confused as hell the first night but she's coming around. It's working out.
Here's some pics of the switch.
| Logan's Room |
| Closet under the stairs. Behind the clothes is a rolling cart of craft supplies and several other totes of scrapbook stuff. |
| This was already in room formerly known as the playroom, hence why he now has a TV in his bedroom. Sigh. |
No comments:
Post a Comment