Sunday, March 25, 2012

We're Off to See the Wizard!

Yesterday was another first for Logan. It was his first time seeing a stage production!

About a month or so ago, our cousin Stephanie asked if we'd be interested in going with her and her son, Carson to see a production of "The Wizard of Oz" at Sullivan's Little Theater on the Square. I was sold instantly-I LOVE Oz and had never seen it on stage (I've seen "Wicked," but that's different). Plus, this performance was put on by the theater's Dance and Drama Students, so I thought it may be more "kid friendly," and more suitable as a first outting for Logan.

Of course, we had some confusion when I told him we were going to a theater. He thought we were going to see a movie! I finally told him we were going to see some kids do a show, just like Mommy and Daddy came to see him do a Christmas program. That kinda seemed to help. Plus, Logan is pretty familiar with the story.

I thought the group did a very good job. It was a very talented group of kids, and it makes my heart happy to see kids getting into the theater arts. I'm unsure of the ages of these kids, but I'd say middle school thru high school.

Logan did great sitting thru the performance. It was about 2 hours long (with an intermission) and he sat still the whole time and didn't talk. I'd glance over at times and he was glued to it. He had a huge smile during the Munchkinland scene (it was insanely bright and colorful), and was pretty concerned when the Wicked Witched melted at the end. I loved how the cast mingled with the audience afterwards. We saw a lot of kids getting their pictures taken with Dorothy, and Logan kinda, sorta, talked with the Wicked Witch on our way out the door. I think he was relieved that she was ok ;o)

I will definately take him again! I'm looking at some of the kid productions coming up this summer and seeing if something may interest him.

No comments:

Post a Comment