Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Take "The Hunger Games"

Last night we went to see The Hunger Games. It was fantastic. Definately one of the best movies I've seen in a LONG time.

I waited a long time to see this, as I read the series close to probably two years ago. After much nagging, Matt decided to read them and finished all three over the course of a weekend. I'm currently rereading them and I am amazed at how much I forgot. So...if you've read them once, consider reading them again...whether you plan to see the movie or not.

Ok...back to the movie. I will admit that I was worried about how violent it could potentially be, because the book was one of the most violently chilling I've ever read. But...I also knew they (the producers, directors and all those fun people) were trying to keep it at a PG13 rating. They handled this extremely well. They captured fear and horror with various shots and angles and music and perspective, which, I suppose, could be even more chilling.

At first, when the cast was announced. I was unsure of Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss) and Woody Harrleson (Haymitch). Lawrence was outstanding! Harrleson...well, he still isn't how I have Haymitch pictured, but I liked him in the movie. There was one point in the movie where he spoke and I was like, "Aha...so THAT's Haymitch."  I was also impressed with Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. I cannot forget Effie...she amuses me with those wild outfits and hair (and Effie is also my grandmother's name, so I'm pretty taken with the character).  And the costumes...oh my....the costumes!

My biggest irk with THG (books and movies) is that it is being compared way too much to "Twilight." Aside from these being books for "young adults," I think the similarities stop there. Oh, and maybe a love triangle, but even that is entirely different.  They are totally different stories, taking place during totally different times. So seriously people, knock it off :o) I love Twilight. I love THG. You CAN like both. There's no need to pit the two against each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment