Over the weekend, our five year old Hamilton Beach Brew Station decided to flood the countertop. Twice. It wasn't quite as disasterous as it could have been: my microfiber dish traying pad absorbed most of it. We concluded five years was a pretty darn good life for a coffee maker and...ok, I'm not sure what Matt did with it, but I do know it is no longer in the house.
We had talked about buying a Keurig before the coffee maker died. However, we did not see the need to have both a coffee pot AND Keurig. For one, the Keurigs are expensive and we'd be buying double duty in terms of coffee and K-cups for the Keurig. But even when the maker died, we were still pretty on the fence about the Keurig.
We weighed the pros and the cons and finally concluded that a Keurig, while expensive on multiple levels, would be the better option for us right now. With Matt working nights, we were making a pot of coffee at around 8 p.m. A lot of coffee was thrown out. In the morning, I'd make a pot and a lot would get thrown out. Say what you will about the expense of the K-cups...when you are throwing out multiple pots of coffee, you aren't gaining anything. With the Keurig, Matt is making his cup of whatever before leaving for work and I have my cup of whatever in the morning. And with the exception of me miscalculating where the end table was this morning and me literally dropping my mug on the floor, we haven't wasted coffee! Plus, Matt needs caffiene, and I really am not supposed to drink it, so we can have our coffee and drink it too :o)
You'll hear that you can only get one cup out of the K-cup. I've also heard that you can shoot for two cups but the second tastes nothing like the first. I've used my K-cups twice and haven't tasted a difference in cups. And I've done this with a few different types (the maker came with a little sample pack of different flavors and brands). I haven't tried for three. I'm generally done at 2 in that span of time.
When we registered the Keurig on their website, they sent a coupon code for 2 free boxes of cups with the purchase of 2 boxes. I got for packs of various cups for around $30 and even had free shipping! Those haven't arrived yet. Plus, it must have been a sign, because the day we decided to buy the thing, we got a free sample in the mail that I had applied for on Facebook. I should also be a freebie of the apple cider as well.
I didn't really consider my Brew Station to be huge, but I cannot believe how clear my countertop looks now with the Keurig. It's pretty small. We will, however, have to get something better to store the K-cups. Matt has them on this little shelf, and I bump the shelf daily and knock them off. I know they make some neat storage options. That's next on the agenda...perhaps next week when Carson's has their Goodwill promotion I can get a good deal on one.

No comments:
Post a Comment