First off, we really had no idea what we was getting into. We had a rules sheet and that was it. I read a lot online but we decided not to get too crazy. For instance, the car has to weigh a certain amount and we didn't want to add to it just to get there to find out it was too heavy and have to remove weight. We knew there was a fix station but that wasn't a lot to go on.
Logan told us he wanted his car to look like Lightning McQueen. So we looked for a few patterns but nothing seemed to measure up on the block of wood. That's how the car starts: a rectangle block of wood. We also didn't know how well Matt's saw would cut. I didn't even know Matt had the saw he used to cut the silly thing! Cutting turned into a challenge because it was so cold that the saw's battery would not stay charged. It wasn't perfect but Matt finally got it cut. Then Logan painted it. The next day me and Logan ventured out to find some McQueen bling.
I cannot believe how high-tech the race was. Computers and everything. Craziness. Anyway, we got there and weighed Logan's car which was well below the max weight. They asked if we wanted to add some weight and Logan said no.I mean, you are supposed to let your kid do as much of the work as possible. So, his call.
Ol' McQueen managed to cross the line on the first heat. But that was it. Matt added some weight to it and it seriously just made it worse. He thinks it was something with the wheels. I felt pretty bad for Logan. But you know what was awesome: his Tiger Scout friends were super encouraging to him and even cheered for his car hoping that it would, finally, make it to the finish line.
Logan was a little bummed. His best buddy actually won first place and I think Logan had a bit of envy with the trophy. This is what happens when every activity you are in gives everyone a trophy or medal for participating. We told him the night before that not every one would win and to not be a sore loser. I think he did ok and it was nothing that ice cream couldn't fix. I dread the day when ice cream cannot make his little world right. I think Daddy needed ice cream too ;o)
There is a district race in February. We haven't heard a lot of details on that one yet so I don't know if we will participate in that or just go and watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment