Saturday, August 24, 2013

First Week of School

The first week of first grade is in the books. It has been such an improvement over how the first week of kindergarten started: there's been no tears, and he pretty much dashes out the door to play without giving me a hug. Don't worry, I reel him back in ;o) I was a little worried, though, because the night before school started, he was really nervous. He was up way past bedtime crying and worrying. By morning he was fine. I guess he just needed to get it out of his system. Here's some pics from the first day.
On Friday, he was feeling a little nervous and sad, so he asked to take a dinosaur in his pocket. Last year we discovered that a small item in his pocket helped Logan feel more secure. It started with a small Smurf charm. It was mine when I was little. However, the Smurf must have jumped out of his pocket because it never returned home. Then it was a series of tiny dinosaurs. I had to laugh when he asked about the dinosaur yesterday, because he said, "The dinosaur is my mom when you aren't there." Thanks, kid. We also did the whole "kissing hand" thing. He was fine by the time we got to school. I haven't heard any negative reports from his teacher, so I'm taking that as a good sign ;o) He has brought home several worksheets and I am amazed. His work is so much neater. We practiced over the summer but of course he was messy with me. Coloring could still use a lot of work. I remind him repeatedly to not scribble and he finally told me he just wants to "get it done." He really just doesn't like it! He is loving math (I'm not sure he's mine) and I am certain he can read more than he lets on: last night we browsed books on my Kindle, and he read the title of a book I had never mentioned at all to him. All in his own time, I suppose. And he's still a klutz. He came home with three band-aids: one on each knee and one on the elbow. He told me he fell off the monkey bars. This made no sense. The wounds looked like rug-burn. Finally he told me he fell on the blacktop. Now that makes sense. We had a long talk about being honest when someone asks a question. Next week we will be in more of a normal routine. We start speech therapy again and have our first pack meeting for Cub Scouts. It's going to be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment