I knew last week was going to be a different week for us. Matt was to work four days on second shift (roughly 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.), which meant the only time Matt and Logan would see each other that one hour in the morning before school. With Logan and I on our own for supper, I had some fun ideas (including Cracker Barrel!), and I while I was bummed Matt wouldn't be around in the evening I was looking forward to some quality time with the kiddo (I still miss him terribly while he is at school).
Monday went fine. Tuesday started out fine. Matt and I went and grabbed lunch then went to Slumberland and bought a new living room set (couch, loveseat, 3 tables, 2 lamps....I'm a tad excited). This was also the day of nasty winter weather. We came back home, Matt headed to work, I settled in to watch Breaking Dawn part 2. Then the phone rang.
It was that call from school that every parent fears: "Logan is in the office. He says he feels like he is going to throw up. He's running about a 99-point something temp."
I went and got the kiddo, brought him home and checked his temp. No where near 99 point whatever. He was begging for food. Hmm....yep. I do believe someone was trying (and was successful) at getting out of speech therapy that night. I was actually okay getting him early because the weather continued to get worse.
Wednesday was a snow day! So we all had some quality time together in the morning before Matt headed to work. Then in the afternoon Logan had an appointment to get his hair cut since Spring Pictures were on Friday. Isn't it funny, snow day and then 2 days later Spring pictures?
Around 2 a.m. Thursday morning Logan woke me up. He said his neck and head hurt. He climbed into bed with me and he felt really warm. He's a warm natured kid, but this was just different. I ran downstairs and got the thermometer. 101 and some change fever. Uh oh. I gave him some Tylonel and I went ahead and shut off my alarm. Fever over 100 means no school. Of course, he did not sleep in any. He ran a fever the entire day and it was easily controlled with just Motrin. He was acting fine, eating fine, being himself. As the day went on his nose got stuffy and he started coughing more. By evening the temp got up to 103. However, the kid was still acting fine and the Motrin knocked it down pretty quick (I did do an "in between" dose of Tylonel at bedtime). Since sickness and especially fevers are not common for Logan I went ahead and made an appointment with his doctor for Friday morning.
Matt had already taken Friday off and Logan sweet-talked him into going with us to the doctor. It was a super early appointment so we were in and out pretty fast. He wasn't running much of a fever there, but after Logan told the nurse that his throat hurt she said that the doctor would likely want to swab it. Well, that sent Logan into a tizzy. He's been swabbed before but was little enough that he doesn't remember it. And our doc seems to like to test for strep a lot. I think I have only went to him maybe 3 times for sickness and have been tested twice.So I wasn't surprised that he wanted to do this. After working himself up about the test, he Logan did great. Fortunately it came back negative for strep and he was giving a script for an antibotic. I can't complain too much: first trip to the doctor in a year, first antibotic in a year. Sadly, I do not think we will make that four year streak again ;o)
I do not like that Logan was sick. I'm sad that he missed his spring pictures and his classroom's presentation of Stations of the Cross. But I am glad that he got sick when he did. It meant some good family time just the three of us. Sure, we couldn't go out and do anything fun, but we were together and it was just nice to hang out and be lazy. Logan was thrilled to have so much "Daddy Time," and was latched on to him the entire weekend. I wasn't feeling the love so I took the opportunity to knock out some scrapbooking.
Hopefully things are on their way back to normal. Logan was fever free Sunday, so was able to go back to school today. Matt is on his normal schedule. I've managed to get a few things done around the house (I'd do more, but I've got some wicked pain issues going on).
No comments:
Post a Comment