Yesterday at Speech, Logan got to pick a prize out of the toy chest. He picked the ever-popular vampire teeth. His therapist laughed because this is what he picks all the time. She went on to tell me that she's wanting to get scented pencils. This led to a conversation about scratch and sniff stickers (remember those?!?!), which lead me on a trip down memory lane.
One thing I LOVED in school was stickers. My third grade teacher (who I really didn't like, by the way) gave stickers for As. But she didn't put them on the paper like other teachers did. She let you pick whatever sticker you wanted out of a box. And thus started my sticker collection. I had an old, unused photo album and stuck my stickers in there. When I filled up that album, I started a new one. I think I only had two full ones, and I am unsure if I still have them somewhere. But, oh, how I loved stickers! Those "bubble gum" machines with the stickers? I couldn't wait until a weekend trip to Wal-Mart or the grocery store so I could buy one or two of those "giant" stickers.
This sticker love has carried over into scrapbooking and onto Logan. I buy A LOT of scrapbook stickers. And I use a lot of scrapbook stickers. If Logan gets a sheet of stickers, he has them stuck on his little table in a matter of minutes. Last summer I tried to convince him put them in an album, but that didn't work. We ran into trouble when he stuck one to the cofee table and told us he was "decorating."
I also had a thing for pencils. Not the boring, yellow #2 pencils, but the fun ones that were decorated. Yep. I was (and still am) such a nerd. A few teachers gave out these sorts of pencils around holidays and on birthdays. Some even gave them out for good grades or getting on the honor roll. You would think as much as I loved these crazy things, that I couldn't wait to sharpen them and use them. Nope. I had a massive collection of these things, safely stashed away in a shoe box under my bed. I kid you not this box was half-full of pencils. I still have some of them...that I did sharpen and let Logan use. And let me say that the quality of the fancy pencils today have gone down big time. Half the pencil is gone by the time you finally get it sharpened. But, homework is just more fun when you have a fun pencil to write with!
Finally, I liked those crazy shaped erasers. I didn't have a lot of these, because they weren't as popular. But I do remember my sister's pediatrican gave out erasers. That's where the bulk of mine came from. Rainbows, unicorns, (can you tell this was the 80s?), I even had a few in the shape of crayons (which I found some of these a few years ago and HAD to buy). Sadly, I think the eraser collection got trashed at some point.
These three little things would make me the happiest kid in the world. So, if anyone has a a good lead on scratch and sniff stickers, let me know. I think my kid is missing out ;o)
No comments:
Post a Comment