Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Great Pumpkin Patch

On Sunday we took a family trip up to the Great Pumpkin Patch in Arthur. It's rare that we make this trip as a family. I think it's only happened three times. Even after Matt's sarcastic remark of "ohhh, it's a pumpkin," he caved. And even though I'm sure he won't admit it, he had a good time :o)

Since these trips usualy involve me and Logan (or me, Logan, and playgroup), we are there during the week and not on the weekend. There's so much more going on during the weekend. There's food, like hot dogs, pulled pork, french fries, pumpkin ice cream, live music, wagon rides. Just a lot more to do. That also means more people. I worried a bit when I saw how many cars were in the parking lot, but once we got in it wasn't bad at all.

The first thing Logan wanted to do was go through the straw maze. We followed him. I'm just not brave enough to send him in there by himself. He's pretty good though...we found our way out pretty quick. Shortly after that Matt ran into some former co-workers and their adorable baby. While talking to them Logan noticed the wagon rides and asked if we could do that. So I paid our fare while Matt noticed another former co-worker already on the wagon!

The wagon ride took us through the giant fields where they grow all the pumpkins. It was pretty informative too. We learned that in the mid 1800s (I think 1850s, but I could be wrong) the land was purchased at $1 per acre! We also learned that despite the drought, it was really great pumpking growing weather. Sadly, the same rule did not apply to the sunflowers, which were pretty tiny and had just bloomed the week before.

Matt decided he wanted to try out this pumpkin ice cream, and Logan wanted one of their awesome sugar cookies, so we went our separate ways for a bit. Matt really liked the ice cream, and while Logan liked his cookie, he was still creeped out by the "spooky man" in the snack shop. The "spooky man" is a life-sized "dummy" that kind of looks like a butler in a haunted house. The more I think about it, he would be perfect for our upcoming Scooby Doo birthday bash...but, no need to terrorize the birthday boy!

After our snacks we headed to the Children's Garden and Logan stood at the pumpkin height chart. We have done the height chart there since he was one, and it's fun to see how much he has grown. THis year was probably the best picture I have of him in front of it...maybe because we had to hurry because everyone else wanted pictures there too.

Since Daddy was with us, Logan decided he was brave enough to go into the haunted barn. He hasn't wanted to go in since he was two. It hasn't changed much since then, and the three of us had fun getting the spooky things to talk (most of them you had to clap or stomp by them). I remember my sister being scared of that barn when she was little...I wonder if I could get her in there now....

I love the pumpkin patch. It's one of my favorite things about fall, and it makes a lovely backdrop for pictures. I didn't have Logan dressed in "picture attire" so I guess we'll just have to try to make another trip!













No comments:

Post a Comment