Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mommy Takes a Sick Day (or 2)

One thing I miss about working outside the home is having sick days. I didn't use them often, but it was nice to know they were there if I needed them. Being a stay-at-home mom, or just a mom in general, means that sick days are no more, for the most part. It's weeks like this that make me wish I would have taken advantage of those days back when I had them, instead of going to work or school sick. I never liked to take sick days. And now, it takes a lot for me to just rest when I'm sick, because heaven forbid something not get accomplished (detect the saracsm?) But this was one of those weeks that I had to take some time out to get healthy. And guess what? It was ok!  

Monday night at around bedtime just sort of out of no where I started to feel sick. My head hurt. My nose felt stuffy. I had some sinus pressure (not unusual for someone who still has wisdom teeth that are extremely high and the oral surgeon wouldn't touch them lol). I didn't think much of it: I've had way too many sinus issues this "winter" that have lasted only about 24 hours. Nothing that has slowed me down. Well, Monday was a pretty sleepless night until I finally caved and took some Nyquil. I think if I would have caved sooner I would have been better off.

Tuesday I was still stuffy and had the headach and sinus pressure. I took Logan to school, ran some errands, picked up Logan from school and came home. I made cupcakes for our Valentines celebration at home. And then I really started to feel bad. I got incredibly achy. I was so achy that when Logan wanted to snuggle I had to tell him no. A little touch was just too painful.  I finished up the cupcakes and then spent the remainder of the day on the oh-so-uncomfortable couch. Logan and I watched "Gone with the Wind," which turned into a history lesson tamed down to a preschooler's level. If Matt was still working at his old job and getting home at supper time, instead of just waking up, I would have headed up to bed. Instead, we ordered pizza (since my orginal plan of me making one wasn't going to happen) and watched Back to the Future II. I kept Logan up until Matt left for work so we could both just head upstairs and go to bed. It worked out well, except it took about two hours for me to fall asleep.

I felt somewhat better on Wednesday, but not enough that I felt like doing anything. We skipped our playgroup's Valentine's Day party. I am bummed about this because the Valentine's Day party was our first big Moms for Moms outing when we first joined in 2008, and I knew this party was going to be bittersweet because with Logan going to kindergarten next year, this would have been his last one. After I picked Logan up from school, we grabbed McDonald's for lunch, in which he informed me that I was sick and didn't need to eat lunch. I spent the majority of the afternoon, again, on the couch. This time, though, I watched "The Others." It's my favorite spooky movie and 1) me and my friend Jessica had just talked about the movie a few weeks ago; 2) Zac Bagan's mentioned it in his book "Dark World" and 3) it was available via instant streaming on Netflix.

I'm pretty proud of Logan and how he behaved while I was sick. He played contently by himself, watched some TV with me, and only really asked for assistance when he needed drinks or snacks. He really seemed to "get" that Mommy needed some rest. At bedtime, we usually read 2 books, plus 2 chapters out of whatever Magic Treehouse book we are on. We were ready to start a new Treehouse book on Tuesday night and I forgot to bring it upstairs. Of course he called me on it. But when I told him that Mommy just didn't think she could read anymore out loud, he didn't throw a fit or cry or anything. He just asked for some snuggles (which we do after our stories) and then I went on to bed. Yep. He's growing up way too fast.

Today I am finally feeling better. I haven't spent hardly any time on the couch :o) But my house is showing signs of my sick days: the laundry is piled up, the sink was overflowing with dishes (I did wash dishes, but there's still more to be done), the floors need swept, and I haven't cooked since Monday. Oh, and Logan kinda trashed his playroom today.  I suppose Friday will be my "catch up" day so I can enjoy the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment