Music can do a variety of things to us. It can make us happy or sad. It can stir up a memory. It motivates and inspires.
I've noticed a few songs really make me reflect on the past five years. Some are sappy. Some are silly. But all trigger precious memories.
I never thought that this song would make me think of a tiny newborn Logan.
http://youtu.be/3gOHvDP_vCs
That's right. Sexy Back by good ol' JT. I don't know if it was because this song was played sooo much when he was in the womb, or what, but this song could calm the boy like no other. He pulled all-nighters the first few nights he was home, I remember walking the floors to this at 4 a.m.
Now, those of you who know me know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Rascal Flatts. So it is only fitting that one of their songs has made it on this list.
http://youtu.be/Q4JFBsmyiFc
I heard "My Wish" while driving one day. Logan was in the backseat. I don't know how old he was, but he was still pretty small. I remembered thinking that this song encompassed all that I wanted for my son. The lyrics have been made into a scrapbook page (that fell apart and needs redone...FAIL), I want them printed and hanging somewhere in the house, and I know that THIS is the song I want to dance with Logan if he gets married. How many moms have that song chosen by the time their kid is one?
With the exception of the Laurie Berkner Band and Imagination Movers, we've steered clear of kids music. Some of that stuff makes my ears bleed. So Logan has grown up listening to pretty much what Matt and I listen to, which is a LOT of country (he spends the majority of time with me, you know) and a smidge of "Top 40." There's some songs that he just jams to. He can sing almost all of Hot Chel Ray's "Tonight Tonight" (which is just a fun song); he dances around to "Move's Like Jagger" (and has asked the cat if she, too, has moves like Jagger); and he loves Taylor Swift, which is great, because I do too! And this Taylor Swift song makes me bawl like a baby. Listen with caution.
http://youtu.be/BiLp1AqtIwI
I heard "Never Grow Up" the week before Logan turned five. Let me tell you, my baby turning five was rough. I'm just now accepting it. I'd keep him a newborn, minus those countless, sleepless hours dancing him to "SexyBack."
Sexy Back makes me think of L, too. I can just remember landing on your myspace page with his photo and that song playing!
ReplyDelete